I went to bed last night with every confidence that I would get my three papers revised today and move on to what really matters right now by this evening- or at least by tomorrow morning.
Two things worried me, a touch, however.
1) I sent a draft of the paper I feel best about in the bunch to the prof for whom it is due and he promised to send feedback by Friday morning. It occurred to me after the fact that this may have been a poor idea because he is a very thorough guy, with HIGH expectations and by sending a draft I opened myself up to “You need to totally overhaul this.”
2) I’ve had a pattern this week- frustrating day, productive day, frustrating day, productive day, and today falls where in the pattern?
I went to bed late. I bought some delicious yarn last night and for a couple reasons just wanted to start a project with it right away. I hoped that maybe I’d sleep until morning if I didn’t go to bed until 12. Well, I slept until 4:40- better… I guess… was awake for awhile, fought the impulse to write the intro and conclusion to which I did not get yesterday… fell asleep again, eventually, and slept until what felt like 9, but indeed was only 7:40.
I grabbed the computer right away. I debated, for a moment, about whether I should check for the prof’s feedback before revising the other two papers, but then decided I needed to know what I was facing. And indeed… some MAJOR revising. But of course… if he’s going to take the time to review a draft, he is going to want to see major changes when he reads it again. And I did write the thing in the middle of the night, in one night basically.
So the to-do list for today:
- Write Introduction and Conclusion to Bonhoeffer Paper.
- Read through entire Bonhoeffer paper again and make further revisions.
- Add bibliography to Bonhoeffer paper.
- Add cover page to Bonhoeffer paper. first four tasks completed by 1:10, but can’t seem to do the next yet, so… jumping to number 6.
- Let Bonhoeffer paper go.
- Read through and revise paper for my Friday class.
- Add bibliography to Friday class paper.
- Add cover page to Friday class paper.
- Let Friday paper go. 2:58 p.m- totally let it go. E-mailed final submission to prof. It is a VERY mediocre paper, but I need to have one out of my hands, so it is gone.
- Begin to SLOWLY work through my Thursday paper, seeking to make changes in all the ways my prof has suggested.
- Add necessary citations to Thursday paper.
- Further proofing of Thursday paper.
- Add bibliography to Thursday paper.
- Add cover page to Thursday paper.
- Let Thursday paper go.
So can I? Will I?
Will I break the cycle of this week and get. this. done.
Or will I be checking-in to whine throughout the day.
I think I can. I think I can. I think I can…