I was inspired by the award last week to do this every Saturday. My sweet pea is sleeping, yay! So, before I get into the rest of what this day has in store I am going to make note of seven things I love (many of which were a part of this week just past!) You can play too! Leave me a note in the comments if you do!
- Las Paletas– oh. my. goodness. These gourmet Mexican popsicles are the BEST thing I’ve discovered here in Nashville. You all know that I gave up refined sugar well over a year ago. Well, I’ve decided my one exception will be for these popsicles. We often take guests either to the non-descript home of these goodies (there’s not even a sign- hence their website name!) or to a local coffee shop that always has several flavors on hand. The range of flavors is astounding and the quality of flavor… oh. my. goodness. So far my two favorite flavors have been Creamy Lime (tasted like Key Lime Pie), and Chai (tastes JUST LIKE CHAI). Chocolate Raspberry was pretty darn good too. Kev has experimented with some really out there flavors- corn popsicles, anyone? Chocolate wasabi? And they get stranger than that. Or they are pretty normal and mundane, but never mundane in taste. I don’t indulge all that often, but… it is ALWAYS worth it. ALWAYS. Come see me so I can have another! (You can read another bloggers take on them here. I did enjoy one this week… the coffee shop was oh so close to the post office… and it was SUCH a lovely day. Totally worth it! I have no idea actually how many points in one of these, but I have a good guess and they haven’t hurt my weight loss yet!)
- Only 8 Frozen Yogurt– This stuff is sweetened with fructose, has no fat, low calories, active yogurt cultures AND comes in interesting flavors AND TASTES GOOD! This is the place we used to go to after our childbirth classes for a treat. And it is the place where the owner shared her fertility struggles with very pregnant me (see next thing that I love). You get to fill your own cup and there are tons of toppings you can add. I don’t usually add anything other than strawberry (hoping that isn’t sweetened, I don’t think it is.) as most of the toppings are loaded with sugar and corn syrup, but it is always satisfying. My second favorite discovery in Nashville.
- Hearing that someone who thought they could not get pregnant or never would get pregnant IS– We have been bringing Caroline to the frozen yogurt place mentioned above trying to introduce her to the owner for WEEKS now. The owner was never there no matter when we tried (which was strange because previously she has ALWAYS been there.) But some time in the last few weeks she was there, and there was no business at the moment so she was able to come out to the car to meet Caroline. And on the way out she said “Did I tell you we’re expecting our first?” I squealed! “NO! CONGRATULATIONS!” And then she reminded me of the fact that the Fertility Docs had said they had no chance without MAJOR intervention… but… it just happened. She misdiagnosed her pregnancy as menopause! I don’t know this woman, but I am SO happy for her.
- Staying Extra Long in Bed on a Rainy Saturday Morning- Especially when dear Caroline is in a LOVELY mood and is playing away with us.
- Having the Discipline to Avoid Strong Temptation– I didn’t have time to make a naturally sweetened cake for Kev’s birthday and didn’t want to bring a whole regularly sweetened cake into the house. We had our usual Friday night get together (see point 6) with friends last night. They brought dinner. I said I’d take care of dessert. So I went into the cupcake place that I drove by or rode by almost every day last semester and I went in with the intention of picking out three cupcakes. I couldn’t decide which one Kev would like best so I picked 4. These are BIG and smell delicious and… I am so glad I never went in the store before and I doubt I’ll ever go again- well maybe for his birthday next year! The three of them shared three of them, one, the one that was most tempting to me of all, was left. I asked Kev to hide it away until he had stomach room to enjoy it. It is somewhere in the house. I am. not. going. to. eat. it.
- Battlestar Galactica– I have a strong aversion to Sci-Fi. I avoided this show for a long time. But after perhaps the 50th person that I deeply respect started talking about it… I tried it. And got hooked SO FAST. My friend Jen (from school), waited even long than me, and hasn’t even seen the first few seasons. But over Christmas break she watched one or two whole seasons and asked her husband (who had borrowed all our dvds and watched the seasons she missed while she was buried in her first semester of Ph.D. studies and so not interested in anything sci-fi- I get it!) all sorts of questions about what she missed. Well, next week the series ends. Sigh. But for this last run of episodes we’ve been getting together with Jen and Sean every Friday that we can for dinner and the show. The show has such interesting layers of philosophy and theology woven into it, and the characters are fascinating and complex, the relationships intriguing… Jen has an interesting theory about what is going to happen next week. It is similar to Kev’s theory. I don’t have theories. I just REALLY appreciate the show. Love it. Buy the d.v.d.s or borrow ours. You won’t regret it.
- Finding Good Blogs- This morning I went hunting on-line for a naturally sweetened cake recipe to make for our 100th day celebration for Caroline tomorrow (and for Kev’s birthday- I want to make him a cake!) I found a great recipe for naturally sweetened Chocolate Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting! I don’t know yet if I love the cake, I’ll let you know after tomorrow. But I love the blog! It is a whole blog devoted to baking with whole foods. Check out Sweet and Natural for the newest blog I love. (There are so many!)
Well, I guess there was a bit of a sweet theme this week. Ah well! There will be more things I love accounted for next Saturday! Play too! What do you love?
pic found here.