- Having Friends Nearby- I love that as of this week I have a friend with whom I can imagine just dropping in or spending LOTS of time. And that I have a friend who responds quickly to the “I need some adult time. Could you come over some time this week?” She did. She came over for two hours on Friday. And it was great! Friendship while serving as a small town pastor was complicated. It is so much easier now. I love my many long-distance friends, but having friends to share cup of tea with or take a walk with or what have you… priceless. Love it.
- Bits of Green Poking Their Way Through a Patch of Earth- When we sowed seeds a few weeks ago now I had a REALLY hard time believing ANYTHING would come of it. Oh, me of little faith. It felt a bit like trying to get pregnant. So much we can’t control. Should we have added fertilizer? We tested the fertility of the soil and it read VERY fertile (and heck… all sorts of stuff grows like crazy in our yard) so we didn’t. Kev tilled and hoed and we picked rocks (though MANY remain) and we planted… and hoped… and this week… THINGS ARE GROWING. Lettuce and spinach and beans and even corn, oh yeah, the broccoli too… maybe the onions, we’re not sure. WOW! Little tiny seeds. A bit of earth. And life is coming up! “Inch by inch. Row by row. Gonna make this garden grow. All it takes is a rake and a hoe and a piece of fertile ground.” Indeed. Love it. As we have rabbits in our yard regularly Kev spent a good bit of time putting a fence up around our piece of fertile ground this week. And we have some heirloom tomato plants ready to go in, a.s.a.p.
- Our Wild Yard- I suppose I should be embarrassed by the state of our yards, they are more “weeds” than grass. But weeds are mostly more interesting than grass, in my opinion. Flowering things, and even some edible things- we have some sort of wild onion (chive like) growing in the yard. Lots of clover. And some other green plant I can’t identify that is pretty. I feel like our yard is a meadow. I like it. Heck, this week I say I LOVE IT.
- Irises– These are one of my MOST favorite flowers and this week we discovered a patch of them planted in our front yard when they started to open up! Hooray! LOVE THEM!
- Wendell Berry- I haven’t read much of his writing, but I keep meaning to. The bits and pieces I’ve read over the years have always been so compelling. Today we went to a play that was an adaptation of lots of his poetry. A good friend did a bunch of the adapting (how cool is that!) It was an impressive show. And while I might have been a bit too tired to aurally take in all that poetry, what I did take in was lovable. What a guy. Today I say- Love him.
- Generous Friends and Family- o.k., so I’ve said it before. But here we are in the beautiful home of family members who graciously watched Caroline for nearly five hours this afternoon and evening so we could see the play and have dinner with some friends, and the tickets for the play were from a friend, and the dinner was on another friend, and the friends that are coming to visit are planning a delicious wheat-free dinner for us. And we’re hosting them! Wow. What wonderful people we have in our lives. LOVE IT.
- Babysitters- Nuff said. LOVE THEM.