They’ve been brewing in my head in these past 10 days or so of mostly rest. So many of them I’ve made before only to lay them aside quite quickly… but I truly, truly want to honor these intentions this year. So I’m recording them here.
- I have promised Kev that I will handle bedtime routine and/or dishes every night that I’m home this year. With this comes the presumption that I will not be working on school work in those early evening hours. So… I intend to get to campus by 8 most days, and head out by 4 (save for the one day I have a late class- the schedule might be tweaked that day), and I intend to make the MOST of those 8 hours on campus.
- I intend to workout BEFORE going to campus at least five days a week.
- I intend to honor sabbath on Saturdays and to give quality attention to Caroline not only on Saturdays, but every day upon returning from school until she goes to sleep (and hopefully other times as well, but at least then.)
- I intend to spend half an hour a day (save for Fridays) housecleaning, one to two rooms and general decluttering every day. I hope to find ways to involve Caroline in this. She received a kid’s cleaning kit for Christmas and finds cleaning to be fun. I want to nurture this in her.
- I intend to honor another promise to Kev of a game night every Sunday night.
- I intend to night-wean and be disciplined about bedtime rituals.
In the past week, more than once, I’ve been asked where I am in my studies and as I have recited the litany of the demands of the next 15 months, I have become weak in the knees. This semester I wrap up my coursework with one class, one guided reading (already in progress), and t.a.ing one class. The first Friday of the semester I meet with my area faculty to talk about exam prep (oops, a challenge to sabbath off the bat! edited the intentions, consequently! i regularly have friday school commitments crop up, so Saturday it will be.) I need to start studying for exams in earnest (which includes writing exam questions for myself- which they may or may not use!) as I need to take and pass 5 qualifying exams (plus a sixth, I think, for my minor!) no later than October, hopefully in August. By March of 2012 I need to have successfully written and defended my dissertation proposal leaving me a.b.d. if I wish to maintain my funding (which I do!) Lord, have mercy. This feels like TOO MUCH. I know I need to take it bird by bird. But… oh well. One step at a time. One step at a time.
All of these demands however (and I’ve left out that I’m STILL preaching three to four times a month at that church where I was originally only supposed to preach through the summer at least until the end of January edited to add-IT IS OFFICIAL. JANUARY 30th WILL BE MY LAST DAY AT MY REQUEST) make my intentions seem like TOO much. BUT if I do get an academic job the demands will be comparable, or even worse, especially pre-tenure. And I will want to have a balance of academic work, ecclesial work, family work, and rest/prayer/self-care. I need to set good patterns now. I’ve been in some less than good patterns (though I’ve made progress in the last six months or so) and I want to try to turn that around.
Please pray for me that I will find the will, the focus, and the ability to honor the intentions I have set and rise to the challenges this year holds.